Tuesday, October 27, 2015

You Grow Girl!! Hair Growth Challenge



One of the reasons for creating Braidouts & Barbells is that my healthy hair journey and the techniques I learned made my fitness journey so much easier to manage. Before my hair journey I was one of those black women that hated to sweat out my fresh ‘do or installing braids or weave in order to workout. Well I’ve been very focused on fitness and now I’d like to incorporate more healthy hair growth and practices by hosting our first B&B You Grow Girl hair growth challenge.
 

I personally am really excited about this challenge, for those of you that aren’t aware I suffered a setback in my hair journey and lost a few inches of hair after the passing of my father. I’m looking forward to regaining those inches lost with all of you. One more important note, hair grows approximately half inch per month with luck and dedication we’ll be able to meet or exceed that ½ inch growth standard.

The contest will run from November 1st to January 31st 2016. The goal is to increase the inches and health of your hair, especially during winter months (for those in cold climates).  I understand that some of you may want to be more discreet than others in participating so you can enter one of three ways starting November 1st:
 1) Posting a pic on Instagram of your starting point with the hashtag #yougrowgirl15
2) Posting a starting pic to the Braidouts & Barbells Facebook group under the “You Grow Girl” challenge entry on November 1st
 3) If your super shy about posting your hair (you won’t be afterwards) you can DM or inbox a picture to me with the caption You Grow Girl!

Here’s what the challenge entails at the minimum! 

1.       One heat pass is allowed per month. In other words direct heat (flat irons, blow dryers with comb attachments) is permitted only one time per month and always with heat protectant. If you want to achieve a straight look without direct heat try a rollerset followed by saran wrap.

2.       Protective styling 50% or more of the time (highly recommended). Some may choose to protective style more often than not. I personally will set out to protective style and average of three weeks out of each month at the least.  A protective style is a style in which your ends are kept moist and tucked away from the elements. Examples include: wigs, crochet braids, buns, sew-in weave, braids and updo’s. I have a few of my fav's on my hairstyles page, check it out. 
a.       If you choose to go for a long term style like a sew in or braids please do your hair a favor and perform a good deep condition first. I personally prefer a light protein treatment followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner. Also, if you need a trim please do so before your install. Finally take care of the hair that is protected under the weave by continuing to moisturize and clean the scalp. I sometimes reach for dry shampoo (ex: Oscar Blandi dry shampoo)  if I’m protective styling to prevent the risk of mildew from hair that is not fully dried.  Finally limit protective styling to 8 weeks max!

3.       Castor oil is a great growth aide and will be applied to the scalp 2 to 3 times per week followed by a light scalp massage. I’ll be applying mine every other night. If your protective styling apply the oil via an applicator bottle in between tracks, braids, etc.  I have a blog post on castor oil that maybe helpful to read but you can get good old pharmacy grade castor oil if you choose.  I’m using Tropical Isle Strong Roots Red Pimento Hair Growth Jamaican Black Castor oil (JBCO).

4.       There will be mini challenges within the YGG challenge such as the deep conditioning challenge, drink your water challenge (moisture from the inside), protective style challenge, pre poo challenge, etc. Within each of these mini challenges I’ll post tips on the blog on how to up your game on each of these categories in order to achieve the health and length you desire.
 
5.       Your participation, feedback, pics and tips are encouraged. Connect with other members of the group by using the hashtag #yougrowgirl15 on Instagram. Also, you’ll have opportunities to connect via Facebook and Instagram check-in updates.
Be on the lookout for my tips, mini challenges and regimen during the challenge. To be sure you get all the updates follow Braidouts & Barbells on Facebook to get challenge and check in updates or go to the home page of the blog and enter your email address in the "Follow by email" field.  November 1st is coming up fast, who’s with me?

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you!! Thanks Yan. I am excited. I just have to figure out a style with no heat for short hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on it Deanne, we'll figure out something. My first thought is a cute half wig!

    ReplyDelete