Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Motions Enhance and Define Pre Wash Detangling Butter Review & My Wash Day Routine



I set aside time every Sunday to wash my hair and as part of this ritual I always pre-poo.  If you’re not familiar with the term “pre-poo it’s a pre shampoo scalp or hair treatment which is typically performed to reduce the stripping effect of shampoo. I’ve performed a pre-poo treatment since the early days of my hair journey and I tend to base it on what my hair “needs”. For example, there are times that my hair feels mushy, I know because I’ve been doing this awhile, and I also know that it’s a sign of too much moisture. In this instance I’d pre-poo with more protein such as egg whites and a bit of olive oil or a protein rich conditioner. Since pre-pooing is a part of my weekly regimen I was curious when I came across a product that offered both detangling and a pre-wash treatment in one jar.
I happened upon a jar of Motions Enhance and Define Detangling Butter during a recent shopping trip and thought I’d give it a try as my pre-poo for the week. It retailed for $6.99 and there was an instant $1.50 off coupon on the jar. In regards to my hair journey some of you may know that I’m recovering from a set back. After the death of my father my hair suffered greatly, primarily in one particular area. For this reason I’ve began taking extra care in my wash day and pre-poo routine. That's an fyi for those that may think my extra precautions seem excessive. Upon opening the jar I notice that the pre-wash has a light scent and creamy consistency, upon application it melts right into my strands. 

  • To apply, I sectioned my dry hair in four quadrants and held each section with a clip. I then applied the Motions pre wash as one would a relaxer utilizing my Sprush and starting at my scalp, parting in sections then applying the butter to my new growth and down the length of my strands.  I also payed close attention to my ends layering the butter on thick since my ends seemed a bit dry. I proceeded to layer the butter upon each section. I then popped my Hot Head heat conditioning cap in the microwave to warm and onto my head, letting the detangling butter pre wash work it’s magic for about an hour while I prepped my meals for the week.
  • Upon rinsing the treatment from my hair I can tell why they call it butter because baby my hair felt delicious! When you take it upon yourself to style and care for your hair you began to really appreciate a good product and I give this a thumbs up, my hair felt really moisturized. The kicker came after I washed with Cantu Shea Butter Sulfate free shampoo, the moisturized texture remained even after cleansing, that's a winner in my book.
  • After rinsing my shampoo I applied a bit of JOICO  K-PAK to my ends for a boost of protein. If your paying attention you've noticed that I give my ends a lot of extra attention because the ends are the oldest part of your hair. The ends also represent the length we want to retain for those of us on a hair growth journey so they require more attention. In addition to the protein conditioner on my ends I also layered on my favorite deep conditioner Macadamia Deep Repair Mask. This conditioner makes detangling a breeze. I couldn’t be bothered with sitting under my steamer so I again reached for my Hot Head heat cap. After several seconds in the microwave it’s nice and hot and gives my deep conditioning treatment an extra boost with the added heat.
  • After a half hour I rinsed and let me tell you my hair felt great. I allow it to air dry for about an hour with a t-shirt on my hair to soak up some of the moisture. I proceed to detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb and it seems to just glide through my thick stresses with little resistance.  I never rush the detangling process by tearing through my hair so it takes about half hour to forty-five minutes. Once detangled to my satisfaction I apply Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave in conditioner, starting at the ends and working my way up and through my hair in sections.  I seal my ends with another staple Organix Coconut Milk anti-breakage serum, I love this stuff!   
Hair dried detangled hair
In a bun for the night!


After applying a bit of serum to the top of my hair for added shine I twist my hair into a bun for the night, on goes the satin cap and off go the lights. The real test of moisture retention for me often comes in the AM, upon unraveling my locks my hair feels nice and moist I proceed to do a quick protective style for the week.  I’m very pleased with this wash day combination of products and I’ll definitely be reaching for the Motions pre wash for wash days to come.

              
What’s your wash day routine?

2 comments:

  1. Consist of applying l'oreal total repair damage erasing balm and letting that sit mostly on my ends , then I co wash with suave professional almond and Shea butter ( I Detangle while I wash ) ... Then let my hair dry a little with a hair drying turban ... Then I apply BB oil moisturizer to my hair, section it off into four and apply pure coconut oil and sometimes Jamacan black caster oil and braid my hair into about 12 single braids and allow my hair to fully dry and stretch so I can do a prettier protection style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff Alexis! Keep up the good work! I'll have to give the L'Oreal Damage Erasing balm a try, you've piqued my interest.

      Delete