Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Holiday Fit Tips| How to stay on track and enjoy your Thanksgiving Holiday.

The smell of Thanksgiving is in the air! Today was day #1 of my turkey day meal prep. This Thanksgiving I'm beyond bless that our daughter is home from the Air Force to join us around the dinner table. So you know what that means....momma's preparing a spread! 

On the menu this Black Friday eve:

Succulent brined turkey (World Market has the best brine for a moist flavorful turkey)
Turkey Ham (hubby loves a Jenn-O turkey marinated in brown sugar, honey, fresh juices & cloves)
Deep fried turkey (fried under the watchful eye of my sis)
Green beans and Southern Collard greens...soul food style
Deep dish cornbread dressing with shredded chicken
Four Cheese Baked Mac & Cheese
Candied Sweet potato soufflé
Delicious deviled eggs
Roast turkey pan gravy
Cloverleaf dinner rolls (I cheated and bought these from Resch's bakery)

And for dessert my deep dish Sweet potato cheesecake....so good! If I'm feeling up to it I may throw in a homemade peach cobbler to add to the dessert selection. All this food already has my taste buds in overdrive and I want to enjoy it guilt free so here's my plan to stay on track as I indulge in Thanksgiving delights:

  1. Make exercise a priority everyday! In fact, right after my turkey goes into the oven on Thanksgiving morning I'm off to an A.M. boot camp offered by my gym to blast some calories.
  2. Eat a small balanced breakfast after boot camp like egg whites and toast and a protein shake for lunch, no snacking. I'll indulge in a complete turkey day meal with all the trimmings. My meal  will include a half cup portion of sides (yes I will measure a half cup), plenty of turkey, green veggies and one small slice of cheesecake (or wine)- that's it. One decadent meal, eaten slowly, relishing every bite will more than satisfy.
  3. In the past my Thanksgiving leftovers were eaten for lunch and dinner daily until gone, that's a lot of food over three days! To be sure I don't allow a cheat meat (or two) to turn into a four day binge I will encourage to-go plates to avoid temptation. I'll also save at least one more full turkey day meal for lunch the following day to ensure I get my carbs in before 1pm. For dinner I'll limit my portions to turkey and greens and skip the calorie laden carbs.
  4. Drink lots of water, dehydration often leads to over eating.
Enjoying a moment with my U.S Airman...priceless!
Will I still ingest tons of calories, you bet! I can't count the number of sticks of butter I use to create this feast and I don't want to, the most important thing I'm doing to stay on track is making sure I measure my portions and move my body. I never wanted to be the gal that stopped enjoying life while pursuing my weight loss goals, it may take me a bit longer to reach them but that's not the end of the world for me. The key to this journey is balance. My balance comes by creating soul filled dishes for those I love, being surrounded by our children, laughter, good health and giving. Just the thought of having my entire family under one roof brings a smile to my face and a deep feeling of contentment that I wish for all of you this holiday season. Embrace the little things, forgive the crazy relative and above all take time out for you! Wishing you a happy, healthy Thanksgiving! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment